Monday, January 16, 2012

babies, babies, babies...

First of all I am going to tell Corry's baby story. :)

As I said in my last post, I went into pre-term labor on October 9, 2011. So that was 8 weeks before he was born and I was dilated to 1 cm. when I left the hospital. So it took me a total of 8 weeks to get from 1 cm. to 5 cm. and I went into the hospital with fake labor more times than I can count, so I won't tell you about all of those... :)

When I got to 39 weeks and hadn't had him yet, my doctor said that she was going to induce me since I had been in labor for so long. She scheduled me to be induced on December 2nd at 8 am. They called me that morning to say that all of the beds were full because there was a storm the night before, and everyone had gone into labor. So they told me to just sit tight and they would call me as soon as they had an open bed. So, since my husband and friend had taken off work already to help with the labor and delivery, they decided to get some things done... They put up the Christmas tree, cleaned the baby's room and put away all the baby shower gifts, and they rearranged the furniture in our bedroom. I laid down to get my kick counts around 4:00PM, and then went to sit in the bedroom, and talked to them while they moved the furniture. Around 4:45PM I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom, and as I got up, my water broke. We arrived at the hospital at 5:00PM and we were checked in. We began the process of searching for baby Corry on the monitor, and checking how far dilated I was. They confirmed I was in active labor, and moved us into Labor and delivery. accompanied by my entourage of birthing partners, we started the usual labor techniques. Labor quickly became much more intense. A bath was drawn to try to ease what I thought was regular active labor, but was later determined to be transition. This is when they told me if I felt like having a bowel movement to try not to push and to tell someone. To which I responded that I have felt this way since I arrived in triage, so they quickly checked again and found that I was at 9 cm. We began pushing at 7:15PM, and my mom advised them that in 3 generations no one in her family has had a baby without an episiotomy. After several practice rounds I was starting to understand how to push, and proceeded to do so for the next 2 hours. My mom kept telling the doctor to give me the episiotomy and get the baby out, but they wanted to try every other way first and use that as a last resort. Finally after 2 hours of pushing the baby's heart rate became erratic, and they said they were going to make the cut because they had to get him out. She made the cut and 2 pushes later he was out. He was finally born at 9:11PM on Friday December 2, 2011. He was the 100th baby to be born at the new hospital, and he was born exactly a month after his cousin Ryan also.

So I guess that it was worth the 8 weeks of early labor, because the actual labor only lasted 4 1/2 hours from water breaking to delivery. I was glad that I didn't have to have and epidural, and was able to deliver naturally. I felt really bad for screaming at my nurses and my mother-in-law though. I tried really hard not to, but couldn't help it on a few occasions...

I was so glad that my little miracle had arrived that I soon forgot all the pain that I went through during labor and delivery. :)

No comments: